- 2 large or 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 4 pocketless pitas 6 to 8 inches
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Red pepper flakes
- Core and halve tomatoes. Squeeze juice, seeds into large bowl. Whisk oil, season salt, pepper. Add arugula but don’t toss. Set aside.
- Dice juiced tomatoes. Toss in another bowl with olives, rosemary.
- Preheat grill, stovetop or skillet to medium-high, or oven to 400.
- Brush onion rounds with oil, season with salt. Grill 3-4 mins per side. Transfer to plate, separate rings. Reduce grill or stovetop heat to medium.
- Brush both sides of the flatbread and grill, 2 to 3 minutes each side.
- Remove from heat. Top with tomato-olive mixture, ricotta, mozzarella, onion. Return them to the grill and cover, or place in preheated oven, until cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Toss arugula with tomato dressing and pile on pitas. Season with salt, red pepper flakes, drizzle with a little olive oil. Serve immediately.
Susan Puckett is a cookbook author and former food editor of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow her at susanpuckett.com.